11 March 2009

The Ballad Of Cable Hogue

Immediately after finishing work on "The Wild Bunch" (1969), director Sam Peckinpah started working on "The Ballad Of Cable Hogue" (1970).
While the "The Wild Bunch" is his most famous film, this one seems to be his finest.
It definetely was his favorite.

Cable Houge, played by Jason Robards, while walking through the dessert:

"Ain't had no water since yesterday, Lord. Gettin' a little thirsty. Just thought I'd mention it. Amen."

"Yesterday, I told you I was thirsty and I thought you might turn up some water. Now about sinnin', you just send me a drop or two and I won't do it no more... whatever in hell it was that I did. I mean that, Lord."

"Four days without water... if you don't think I've put in my sufferin' time, you oughta try goin' dry for a spell. Listen to me! Listen to me! If I don't get some soon, I ain't gonna have no chance to repent."


Then, when he "found water where it wasn't" he digs a well and sets up a business:



Great movie with great lines. More quotes here.
And the trailer here.



What sticks with me, is the soundtrack. Each of the main characters has a theme, Hogue "Tomorrow is the Song I Sing", Hildy "Butterfly Morning", and Joshua, the priest "Wait for Me, Sunrise", which is cleverly woven in all along. Can't get it out of my head.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear - - and I'd never even heard of it before. My film education is sadly, sadly lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very big fan of Sam Peckinpah ! I have seen almost all films of him. Even this both films are favorite of mine. Thank you very much for refreshing my memories.

    ReplyDelete